Min: 2 People
The catching of swordish is an ancient art which has been passed from father to son for about 2,000 years and which is practised in the Messina Strait only between May and August.
You will be welcomed on board a felucca, a boat typically used for this type of fishing which features a high tower for fish sighting and a long gangway for the harpooning. The person on watch, from the top of the tower, locates the swordfish and warns the harpooner on the gangway, who then with his harpoon, attacks.
You will spend 2 hours and half with the fishermen and you will feel from up close the thrill of a real fishing trip with the wind in your hair and the unmistakable scent of the sea. During the catch the fishermen will tell you about the history and development of this thousand-year-old tradition, which still today represents an important livelihood for some coastal villages.
Together with the fishermen you will learn the techniques required for catching the swordfish.
Hours: Departure is at 9:00, you will board a boat that will take you to the felucca already at sea and you will do the same for the return.
If you would like to have an even stronger experience, you can choose the option Catching Swordfish and Lunch which includes the visit to the Ganzirri village, the fishing experience for about 2 hours and finally, once back, you can enjoy your lunch on a terrace by the sea with an amazing view!
What is included
- Catching swordfish experience.
- Transfer to the felucca.
- 2 hours and half on the felucca.
- Visit of Ganzirri (only for the option with lunch).
- Lunch which includes a starter, first dish, fruit, dessert, water and local wine (only for the option with lunch).
- Everything that is not specified in the "Include" section.
- You are advised to bring a sunhat, water and sun cream.
How to reach us
- The meeting point may vary but it will be on Lungomare Papardo, descending from the road of the Bar La Ruota, Via Consolare Pompea 222, Messina.
Booking terms and conditions
- To make a reservation the full payment is required.
- The captain, in case of adverse weather/sea conditions, has the absolute authority to decide to terminate the voyage at any time in the interests of the safety of all the passengers.
- Not recommended for the elderly who suffer from heat or people with heart conditions.
- Should the event date change and should you not be able to schedule another visit you will be fully reimbursed.
- For withdrawals happening at least 3 days before the event, you will be charged 30% of the balance paid.
- For later cancellations the total amount will be charged to your card.
Messina excursions: the best experience that you can live in Messina, Sicily, Italy
Sicily / Messina
Fishing in Sicily
Boating holidays in Sicily