Mon - Tue and...
Mon - Tue - Wed - Thu - Fri - Sat
Min: 1 Person
- Try local specialties
- Discover Catania's culinary history and traditions
- Visit the colorful fish market
- Enjoy walking through the city's historic alleys
- Local guide at your disposal
To visit Catania without savouring the amazing street food available at all hours, from dawn to night, would mean to not have a true vision of the city. The street food of Catania has a true cult following. The excellent quality of the fresh produce, combined with centuries of culinary tradition, has made Catania a must for all gourmets and food lovers!
Our walking tour offers you a historical overview of the city, of the alleys and the squares of the old town, whilst giving you also the chance to sample some of its culinary delights!
You will meet your local guide in the city centre, in Piazza Duomo, jewel of Sicilian Baroque and UNESCO heritage, where you will visit the Cathedral.
From here you will head to the quaint fish market, better known as "la pescheria", where you will taste local cheeses, olives and some exquisiteness in oil. If you prefer fish to meat, at the pescheria you will taste the best mixed fried fish of the city: everything is clearly ultra fresh.
The city tour continues along via Crociferi, famous for its churches and its importance in the procession for the Festa of Sant'Agata, the patron saint of the city. Following, via Etnea, the main street of Catania, you will arrive at Piazza Stesicoro, home to the Roman amphitheater excavated in the early twentieth century. A short stroll and you will reach the famous Bar Savia, which serves the best arancini in Catania, while at the Bakery Pacini the much-loved cipollina awaits you (a speciality of Catania made with puff pastry, tomato, onion, mozzarella and ham).
Crossing "la fiera" - as is the local name for the biggest market of the city - you will arrive at the finest kiosk of Catania: the Chiosco Costa. Here you will taste the typical fizzy drink made from fresh Seltz and syrups, all freshly prepared.
Next stop the port, where a mixed plate of meat, horse-meat meatballs barbecued on hot coals, and the legendary "cipollata" (spring onions wrapped with bacon) all await you.
Last stop will be dedicated to the local sweets: during winter time you will have cannolo with ricotta, cassatella (local ricotta sweet) and an almond based pastry, or sicilian granita (during summer time).
At the end of the tour, your local guide will give you the card "The streets of the elephant" as a reminder of all the key stops of the Street Food tour, with all the different foods tasted on the streets of Catania city centre. The elephant is one of the most important symbols of the city and it is not by accident that you will see in Piazza Duomo the famous elephant statue, restored to its former splendor after recent restoration work.
What is included
- Walking tour of Catania with local guide.
- Tasting of street food (arancino, cipollina, olives, horsemeat dish or fried fish); local sweets (Sicilian cannolo or granita); non-alcoholic drink with Seltz at the "chiosco", zibibbo.
- Everything that is not specified in the "include".
- You are advised to wear comfortable clothes and trainers.
How to reach us
- You will meet your guide in Piazza Duomo 18, Catania.
Booking terms and conditions
- To make a reservation a payment of the full amount is required.
- In the case of adverse weather conditions the tour could be suspended or rescheduled. In the case in which it is not possible to do the tour, you will be reimbursed the full price of the offer.
- Withdrawal allowed up until 72 hours before the service. The deposit is not refundable under any circumstances.
Catania Tour - Holidays - Organize A Cities Of Art Tour In Sicily And Discover The Fantastic Offers Of 1-Day Tours On Sicilying.Com
Sicily / Catania
1-Day Tours in Sicily
Cities of Art in Sicily