Min: 2 People
If you are a nature lover, you can not miss the Hike on Mount Etna up to an altitude of 2,000 meters, to discover the souther and the north-eastern slopes of the highest active volcano in Europe!
Contrary to the common belief, the most interesting side of Mount Etna is not the very top of the volcano but its slopes not taller than 2.000 meters, where you enjoy a great variety of landscapes and natural and cultural sightseeings. This tour just highlights such sightseeings!
Excursion tour which combines Etna's southern flank's volcanic history and its natural catastrophies.
From Nicolosi, the town thought to be the doorway to Etna, going up to Stazione sud (1995m a.s.l) crossing Monti Rossi, the eruptive fissure which led to the important 1669 eruption, which covered the towns on Etna's southern flank, even reaching Catania. Going across the plateau where the 2001 lava stopped and a series of switchbacks crossing the evocative 1983 lava flow, with fabulous phototaking opportunities. By minibus you reach the tourist station "Etna Sud", damaged by the latest eruptions.
The first hike will cross the entire eruptive fracture of 1892, which formed the Sylvester Craters at 2000 m. a.s.l. Going down by minibus to the town of Zafferana Etnea, the tour will stop again to visit Grotta Cassone, an example of lava tunnel. Before reaching Zafferana Etnea, the minibus will pass through Milo and the little village of Fornazzo. From Fornazzo you will go up by minibus along the "Maraneve" road which reaches the tourist station "Etna Nord", in Piano Provenzana.
You will reach the entrance of the forest path where our second trekking starts along the eruptive fracture of 1865 of Monti Sartorius, once again a panoramic point on the eastern slope of Etna. By minibus the excursion will descend along Mareneve through the village of Linguaglossa, passing through the lava flow of 2002 and the Ragabo pine forest.
Complimentary Wine and food tasting at a winery.
Duration: 9:00 am to 18:00
Elevation gain: 100 m.
Hiking time: about 4 hours.
Free pick-up service from your accommodation in Catania (for the list of places covered by the service refer to "how to reach us" field).
What is included
- Guided Hiking Tour with multilingual naturalistic guide (belonging to the A.I.G.A.E., Italian Association for Professional Nature and Walking Guides)
- We provide a pick-up service from your accommodation in Catania (for the list of places covered by the service refer to "how to reach us" field). Upon booking please note the site where you need to be picked up.
- Means of transport: minibus. Rate includes a packed lunch (sandwiches).
- Everything that is not specified in the "include".
- We recommend layered clothing that is ideal for all weather conditions.
- Optional equipment: wind stopper, hiking shoes, backpack containing rain-jacket and rain-pants, water-bottle, sunscreen, hat, batteries, eventually a change of clothes that you can leave in the minibus.
How to reach us
- The pick-up service is included from all accommodations facilities in: Catania, Misterbianco, Mascalucia, Gravina di Catania, S.Giovanni La Punta, Tremestieri etneo, Aci Castello, Aci Trezza, Pedara, San Gregorio di Catania, Trecastagni, Sant'Agata Li Battiati, Zafferana Etnea, Santa Venerina, Viagrande, Valverde, Nicolosi.
Booking terms and conditions
- To make a reservation payment of the full amount is required.
- In case of bad weather conditions, if the organizer considers inappropriate/unsafe to operate the service, you will agree a new date with your guide. If it will not be possible to arrange a new date, you will be refunded.
- In the case of withdrawal before 24h or on the day of the event the amount paid will not be reimbursed. In the case of withdrawal before 48h, will be reimbursed just 60% of the amount paid.
hiking Etna - the best offers in Mt Etna to organize a holiday of Nature in Sicily, Italy
Sicily / Mount Etna
Mt Etna Tours in Sicily
Nature in Sicily